Major Gifts Officer, Missouri Military AcademyCompany: Missouri Military Academy
Date Posted: April 25, 2018
Major Gifts Officer
Missouri Military Academy
Missouri Military Academy is a college preparatory boarding school that has readied young men for college and life since 1889. As one of the few military boarding schools in the United States, we provide a unique program that inspires boys to reach their potential. Our all-boy program is designed around the needs of boys during their formative years, tapping into what motivates them - positive reinforcement, structure, consistent physical and mental challenge, loyalty, and a team mentality.
Our mission is to empower young men to unlock their potential through a structured program of academic excellence, character, social development, and leadership training. We offer boarding and day programs for boys in grades 7-12, with an additional postgraduate Gap Year program that allows students to earn college credit.
The Missouri Military Academy (MMA) Major Gifts Officer is a key member of the development and alumni relations effort, and will act as an advocate, coordinator and liaison in regular engagement with MMA constituents who have the capacity to make significant financial contributions to support a variety of initiatives. This is a highly-visible fundraising position responsible for generating significant revenue. The Major Gifts Officer reports directly to the Director of Development.
The individual in this position will be allowed to work remotely / telecommute. Preference will be given to candidates located in St. Louis, Kansas City, or Columbia, Missouri; Chicago area will also be considered. This position will require a high degree of independent work and flexibility. Frequent travel is an expectation of the position. Fundraising and donor cultivation in cities, towns, and countries where alumni and parents reside is an essential part of the job.
The Major Gifts Officer will work closely with the Academy President and Director of Development to:
- Identify, engage, solicit, and steward constituents who have the capacity to make significant gifts in support of MMA programs, projects, and scholarship funding;
- Manage a portfolio of fundraising prospects including individuals, foundations, and corporations, with a focus on securing gifts and pledges of $15,000 or more;
- Develop cultivation and solicitation strategies for scholarship opportunities for young men to attend MMA in grades 7-12. Develop a list of potential scholarship donors and assess their philanthropic intent, interest and garner their active support of Missouri Military Academy through the funding of scholarships;
- Visit donors to cultivate and steward giving, sometimes teamed up with a member of the academy's leadership team;
- Conduct prospect calls to qualify potential donors to determine capacity and inclination to give;
- Engage donors and prospects at events and other venues as part of the cultivation process;
- Work with volunteers and members of volunteer leadership to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors;
- Conduct prospect research using MMA's Raiser's Edge data management program, public records, and interviews with prospect peers;
- Develop cultivation and solicitation strategies for major and planned giving prospects by assessing philanthropic intent, interest in supporting Missouri Military Academy and giving capacity;
- Develop and execute donor communication including customized correspondence and other fundraising and marketing materials;
- Perform other duties assigned by the Director of Development.
- The Major Gifts Officer must be comfortable working in, and promoting, an environment that encourages military training and service.
- Bachelor's degree
- 3-5 years of demonstrated success in non-profit fundraising, including cultivating and soliciting major gifts.
- Willingness to travel extensively in the United States (30% to 50%) with occasional international travel
- Willingness to work frequent evenings and weekends
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience working with Raiser's Edge or other donor database software
- Time management skills and ability to work under deadlines
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects with a strong attention to detail
- Familiarity with CASE professional fundraising standards
- Planned giving experience
Salary and Benefits
The projected compensation range for this individual will be competitive and in accordance with the background and experience of the selected candidate. An insurance package is available including health, long term disability and life insurance. Benefits also include employer contributions to a 403(b) retirement plan.
Missouri Military Academy firmly supports the principle and philosophy of equal opportunity for all individuals, regardless of age, race, gender, creed, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other legally protected categories.
Submit resume and cover letter to Bill Moran, The Moran Company APPLY NOW