Chief Development OfficerCompany: Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri
Date Posted: June 4, 2017
Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri, a growing, faith-based, non-profit social services agency, seeks a dynamic, enthusiastic, passionate self-starter for its Chief Development Officer (CDO), who will be responsible for leading the strategic and tactical efforts of the Development Department. The CDO will be a frontline fundraiser with the ability to build relationships, and cultivate, ask, and close critical major and leadership gifts. The CDO will mentor, inspire, lead, and motivate colleagues and friends, old and new.
Reporting to the Executive Director (ED) of Catholic Charities, the Chief Development Officer will work independently as an executive fundraising officer and collaboratively with the Catholic Charities ED and the leadership staff. The ideal candidate will serve as a strategic partner who designs, plans, initiates and completes fundraising and special event programs to increase private support for Catholic Charities, and its mission to serve the poor in the thirty-nine southernmost counties in Missouri, which includes many of the most impoverished counties in the state. The CDO is a bold and imaginative thinker yet ‘hands-on’ executive who will establish and lead an exemplary development program. The CDO will couple a genuine passion for the mission of Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri with proven experience driving fundraising success to usher the agency into a new era of fundraising.
Duties and Responsibilities
Duties will include but not be limited to:
- Commitment to Mission, Vision, and Values of CCSOMOAs a key member of the leadership team, collaborate closely with ED and other members of the leadership team to support positive agency culture and promote long-term agency success
- Design and implement an overall development strategy and plan to meet revenue goals and objectives
- Oversee the successful planning, execution and follow-up to agency fundraising and cultivation events
- Build a robust donor base by cultivating and maintaining key long-term relationships with donors and prospects including corporate donors through sponsorships, major gifts, planned giving, and direct mailSolicit major and leadership gifts from existing donors, prospects, corporations, and foundations through personal visits and correspondence
- Oversee donor database management (Raiser’s Edge), maintain accurate donor records, and produce timely reports as requested by Executive Director
- Oversee gift processing and donor acknowledgment, and establish guidelines for high levels of donor appreciation including the creation of donor circles
- Provide supervision and direction to Parish Social Ministry and Events Manager and Volunteer Services Manager in the performance of their work responsibilities
- In collaboration with Director of Communications, utilize marketing expertise to grow agency awareness and the CCSOMO brand
- Develop, coordinate and ensure all policies, procedures, and protocols regarding development, community and parish outreach, special events and volunteer management are in line with Council on Accreditation standards
- Perform special assignments and projects as needed and assigned by the Executive Director
Minimum Qualifications, Education, Licensure, and Certification
Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred.
Three or more years of senior level development and marketing experience with a record of success in setting and achieving long-term goals and strategies, including significant financial results
Skills, Knowledge, and Qualifications
- Willingness to work in a fast paced social service, faith-based environment serving families from low to impoverished backgrounds
- Commitment to or willingness to learn and work toward CCSOMO’s mission and Catholic Identity
- Ambitious, accountable and trustworthy leader, who is a high energy, forward thinker, committed to excellence
- Goal oriented and a proven fundraiser able to generate new revenue for CCSOMO
- Possesses entrepreneurial spirit: takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones
- Detail-oriented and successful working independently, as well as in a team environment.
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
Special Working Conditions
- Must be able and willing to travel across multiple counties; some overnights to cover the 39 county service area.
- Evening and weekend work as necessary for special events or projects.
- This position may require extended periods of standing, sitting, as well as some repetitive movements, bending and repetitive lifting 10-25 lbs. of weight.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key components and primary responsibilities.
- This position requires a valid driver’s license, a reliable vehicle, and proof of insurance.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is competitive, based on qualifications and experience.
- Benefits include a full range of health insurance (medical, dental, vision, and prescription), pension plan contributions, vacations, and other benefits as detailed in the Catholic Charities of Southern Missouri Employee Handbook.