Major Gifts OfficerCompany: Evangel University
Date Posted: February 20, 2018
The Major Gifts Officer is responsible for identifying, cultivating, and soliciting prospects and current donors, the entire cycle of development, for the purpose of securing major gifts ($5,000 and greater). This position reports to the Vice President for University Advancement.
- Articulate and support the vision, mission, goals and core values of the university.
- Manage a portfolio of major gift level prospects (150+) through the entire cycle of development – from research and identification through cultivation, solicitation, closure and stewardship. This includes:creating individual goals for each person on his or her caseload (portfolio) based on the donor’s history of giving and the organization’s knowledge of the donor’s potential.
- Creating a plan for each donor that will serve as a foundational communication and marketing plan for each person in the portfolio.
- In a timely manner, execute that plan so individuals in the portfolio are retained and upgraded. This includes maintaining personal contact, traveling to meet the donors as needed following the guidelines outlined in the Evangel University Gift Acceptance Policies .
- If needed, referring all gifts requiring approval, along with background information, to the Gift Acceptance Committee
- Will work with the various university constituents to secure appropriate project information, including budgets, and create offers, proposals and asks that will be used with persons in the portfolio to secure gifts.
- Will create monthly reports (metrics) as required by the VPUA that accurately reflect portfolio activity and performance.
- Will perform other major donor activities as required.
The Successful Applicant will have the:
- Ability to qualify portfolio donors that represent the highest giving potential for the organization.
- Ability to create reasonable financial goals for each donor, which is based on the donor's giving and the potential.
- Ability to create a personal contact and ask plan that takes into account the individual donor's interest, motivations, giving patterns and ask preferences, for each donor on his or her caseload, in a timely and cost-effective manner, and retains and upgrades donors.
- Ability to secure project and organization information and create and write effective offers, proposals and asks.
- Ability to secure information that can be sent back to donors to report on how their money was used.
- Ability to create timely reports that reflect portfolio performance.
- Ability to manage people, process, deadlines and budget while adhering to the policies and procedures of the organization and ability to get along with peers, subordinates and management and maintain a positive and constructive attitude while solving problems.
- Ability to advocate the mission, goals and values of the organization.
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree preferred, with a minimum of three years’ development experience, preferably in higher education
- Demonstrated track record in gift solicitation and closing major gifts.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- The ability to “power through challenges”Ability to represent the university to external constituents and work effectively with internal constituents across several levels including the president, program directors, faculty and members of the board of trustees
- Experience in planning and managing special events and fundraising activities
- Experience in identifying, training and working with volunteers
- Ability to maintain high level confidentiality
- Commit to take advantage of professional learning opportunities that will increase her or his knowledge and skill base
- Must be willing to travel
Experience in a higher education environment, having participated in a financial or capital campaignProven and demonstrated ability to cultivate, solicit, and steward major gifts of $5,000 and above
Experience with Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge softwareCertified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE) certification
Reports to: Vice President for University Advancement
Submit an application at www.evangel.edu/employment.
Evangel University is an equal opportunity employer participating in the E-verify program.
Job Type: Full-time
Required experience: Fundraising: 1 year
Required education: Bachelor's