Chief Development OfficerCompany: Enactus
Date Posted: June 17, 2017
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Job Class: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt
Enactus seeks a proven, highly motivated, dynamic and inspiring strategic leader with superior relationship skills and demonstrated success in building capacity and increasing revenue to become its Chief Development Officer. This is a unique opportunity to partner with an energized, engaged board to strengthen and diversify the philanthropic profile of Enactus.
The successful candidate must have demonstrated success as a revenue builder, be a highly articulate communicator skilled at making a compelling case for support and have an authentic passion for Enactus.Reporting to the CEO and partnering with the Board, senior leadership and staff, the CDO will have a critical role in shaping and implementing the organization’s overall revenue strategy and, as a member of the Executive Team, advising on optimal revenue strategies.
Critical priorities for the CDO will be to achieve or exceed current annual goals, and to build a program that ensures long-term, sustainable and transformative growth.The CDO also will have day-to-day responsibility for planning, implementing, and managing all fundraising-related activities including engaging a larger, broader and more diverse audience; managing development staff and partnering throughout the organization; developing new earned income initiatives; and collaborating on all donor-facing marketing and branding efforts.
While Enactus is headquartered in Springfield, Missouri (U.S.), it is not essential that the CDObe based there. Considerable travel is required for this role.
- Organizational leadership, fundraising and external engagement strategy
- Building on Enactus’ successful fundraising strategy to date, work with the CEO to create, develop and implement a comprehensive fundraising plan to Enactus’ strategic objectives, including cultivation of current and prospective corporate donors and development of an individual donor strategy.
- Become the champion across the organization for revenue-centric strategies, and work with the Executive Team to understand revenue impacts of current and proposed programmatic strategies.
- Generate short-term results; deepen and diversify Enactus’ funding base; increased restricted and unrestricted funds from all constituencies; and ensure that internal 2 of 3 resources are appropriately utilized.
- Lead solicitation efforts and engage CEO as appropriate in all efforts.
- Collaborate with Marketing and Executive leadership to ensure effective overall positioning of Enactus, including the use of public relations, marketing tools, and the public role of the CEO to promote revenue growth and program impact.
- Lead corporate partner cultivation, serving as primary relationship manager and personally solicit high level gifts from a portfolio of current and prospective donors.
- Systematically identify, cultivate and steward major gift donors.
- Deepen all donor alliances through regular, relevant communications and stewardship;and expand the donor base and partnership opportunities.
- Maintain a significant portfolio of principal donors, and facilitate relationships between donors and executive team.
- Cultivate effective relationships with the board, current partners, and others who can positively impact new revenue stream generation.
- Develop strategic relationships to expand the reach, organizational awareness and programmatic capabilities of Enactus.
- Partner with and support the CEO and Board leaders in order to ensure their efficiency and effectiveness as the organization’s chief spokespersons and fundraisers.
- Collaborate across departments and countries to create an environment that nurtures a fundraising mindset throughout the organization.
Internal Management, Infrastructure, and Team-Building
- Lead all aspects of the development department, and build a strong and nimble advancement team through recruitment; professional development; performance management; and motivational leadership.
- Foster an environment of cohesiveness, collaboration and achievement and ensure staff accountability for excellence through clearly defined and measurable goals.
- Create a climate that promotes respect for others and acceptance of alternative ideas and approaches, as well as the highest ethical standards and practices.
- Embrace diversity as a strategic advantage.
- Provide strategic oversight of the donor database system and build a best practices environment to support the development of external engagement efforts.
- Be transparent and accountable in creating high-quality reporting in partnership with program staff for donors and progress reports for the Board.
- Collaborate with the CFO to ensure appropriate processes to support reporting requirements.
EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION and REQUIREMENTS
• An established leader with at least 10 years of relevant senior nonprofit development and/or sales and marketing experience or comparable business development experience.
• Demonstrated record of innovative and entrepreneurial leadership within the nonprofit, philanthropic or private sector.
• Proven track record of developing successful partnerships with companies, and proven track record of personally developing strategies, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of major and institutional donors at six- and seven-figure levels preferred.
• Experience building a comprehensive fundraising or sales operation aligning multiple aspects of revenue development preferred.
• Demonstrated experience training and working with executives, senior staff and board members on development-related activities, providing them with quality support, and increasing their comfort with and success in fundraising.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the intellectual and emotional depth, maturity and collaborative skills to work effectively across all levels of the organization and with corporate partners.
• A strong work ethic, ability to maintain and model high personal, ethical and professional standards, as well as an outgoing and positive personality.Support of Enactus’ values of integrity, passion, innovation and collaboration with drive to advance a global brand in student leadership and entrepreneurial action and social enterprise.
• A Bachelor’s degree is required; an advanced degree is preferred.
• Previous experience with Enactus and/or with Salesforce a plus.
• Ability to travel globally as needed, maintaining and expanding the reach and impact of theEnactus brand and purpose.